Monday, April 22, 2013

dare to explore

~ a taste of Italian ~


A few weeks ago, I got the privilege of traveling to Italy for a soccer tournament.  We stayed for ten days and toured the famous Italian monuments.  After visiting in Rome for two days, we traveled to a city three hours away, called Agropoli.  Located at the edge of the water, we dipped our toes in the Mediterranean Sea and fell asleep to the sounds of fierce waves crashing against the rocks upon the shore.  We made the haul out to Capri Island where amazement was found at every turn.  High above the water, we stood firm on the lookout point, gazing at the aqua waters with crisp white waves flowing against the magnificent cliffs.  After our eyes had absorbed enough of the view and our cameras had snapped enough of the horizon, we moved along to a sky lift, carrying us far into the clouds.  Upon approaching the top, one could look below and find themselves a midst nothing but fog.  Everywhere you looked was white.  It was a completely new encroachment to be centered among the clouds, invested inside what seemed to have been God's very breaths.  


The last night, though...that was special.  Everyone was tucked away in their hotel bungalows, and all was quiet and peaceful.  My roommates were occupied, so I decided to go for a walk.  Stepping outside the door, my face encountered a wisp of cool wind.  It was trying to speak to me, but I couldn't quite figure out what needed to be said.  I kept walking until my sandals were embedded with grains of sand, making my feet cringe.  The moon was out, shining bright, and the lighthouse in the distance was the glowing beacon of light.  In that moment, looking across the endless sea of possibility, I realized that I would never be sitting in this same spot again.  I wanted to bundle it up inside my hands and carry it with me, though I knew it couldn't be done.  I sat there in the stillness of the night and began to gather my thoughts.  Within all of the business of the travel schedule, I finally had a time to soak it all in.


As I was perched upon a rock and listening to the sound of the waves, someone appeared behind me.  Out of fear, I rushed my head around and found my best friend.  She was standing there, lit by the moonlight, as if God had sent her out to comfort me.  How had she known that I had needed a friend to help me absorb the moment?  She walked over and sat beside me, and we talked about life, about our dreams, and about our futures.  We talked for hours.  We soaked it all in and promised to never let it go.  It was quite the adventure, exploring Italy and discovering pieces of myself within each new found foreign experience.  On that trip, I uncovered more to me than I ever thought possible.


So I challenge you to explore.  Whether it be within the trees of your own backyard or the historical pinpoints of Italian architecture, go out in the world and find yourself within the newness of life.

Right here, right now, wherever you are
...
I dare you to explore.


Linking with...

11 comments:

  1. Ooooooo sounds like fun:) I'm going to Italy in June can't wait love the pictures by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to explore.
    It is my life's goal to never stop exploring.
    I have not explored my way to Italy yet, though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely trip! And I really love your story. Really great post to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to meet you! What a treat seeing these photos of Italy. Thank you. I love the name "Framed by God" and your approach! Will keep in touch! Dawn @ Beneath the Surface: Breath of Faith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing God's revealed beauty of His world with us. I visited Italy many years ago and have forgotten the gift awaiting around every corner or beyond one more building or vista. Thank you for also sharing those quiet, beyond-words moments with us as well. You have a gift my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post and a good reminder. Your photos are just beautiful! Thanks for stopping by, it's always nice to meet a new blogging friend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip! You captured some gorgeous memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh this is one of my dreams to visit Italy! Your photos are really great! So glad you had a chance to really soak things in and have that wonderful conversation with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beatiful perspectives, compositions, colors... Great photographers. Allie!

    ReplyDelete